Monday, March 15, 2010

Having Our Day: The Delany Sisters First 100 Years






The Black Rep has a winner this time with the production of Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters First 100 Years. Just in previews this weekend, with its official opening this coming weekend, audiences will enjoy the witty and biting comments of Bessie and Sadie.

In this production, which I don't recall in the San Jose Rep staging years ago, are the archival illustrations or footage. I also don't recall the mute reporter or biographer the women share their story with, but it's been so many years, I could have forgotten those details so interested was I in the story of these renaissance women.

I know I think a line I have never forgotten is how they lived so long, and the answer was they never married and let a man worry them to death. I love it (smile). I remember when first one sister passed and then the other. Now to hear Sadie speak of a first black president and Bessie's assertion that she would be a great leader, I wonder what they would have thought of Barack Obama.

Both Sadie and Bessie Delany are now deceased. They both passed away in their home in Mt. Vernon -- Bessie at 104 on September 25th, 1995 and Sadie on January 25th, 1999 at the age of 109 (http://havingoursay.com/).

The art is at the African American Art and Culture Complex through March 21, 3rd floor. The child is my granddaughter. The actresses are (L-R): Adriene Graves (reporter), Macia Branisel as "Bessie," and Inez Banks as "Sadie." The other photo is of Inez Banks with a patron, Ms. Mildred Dill'Ard, who is 92 (isn't that cool!) She said could relate to the Delany story. I hope to speak to her and get the details (smile).

Visit http://www.blackrepertorygroup.com/ The show, Having Our Say, runs through March 28, Friday @ 8:00 p.m., Saturday @ 2:30 p.m. 8:00 p.m., and Sunday @ 5:00 p.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home