Saturday, June 22, 2013

Happy Birthday Sister Wanda

I touched down in Arusha Monday, June 17, 2013, and it has been a quiet peaceful transition into a new decade. UAACC surprised me with cake and song and a really cool dance party on my birthday Thursday, June 20. The kids and I traded dances as they taught me some traditional moves which I hear looked pretty right on. Brother Pete looked out his door and wondered at my age, when he saw me get down like the youngsters (smile).

Arusha is certainly home for Africans in the Diaspora thanks to the work of this couple and also folks like Geronimo ji jaga, whose presence is felt daily as people from the village fill containers with water from the well he dug many years ago.

One can't take a step without "karimu" or welcoming smiles and handshakes from friendly neighbors and from folks on the street. Today, I was tourist. We went to the market where I bought some cloth and an English newspaper, ate roasted corn, which was yummy, and I bought several classic Swahilli films. They sound fun. I will have to let you know (smile).

Several folks have come and gone. A professor and his sons are visiting now from Ghana via Dar. They return to Dar tomorrow. They went on a one day safari. Tomorrow, Brother Pete and his wife and son and granddaughter and daughter-in-law are going to the Ngorugoru Crater. I will miss them on their return. I will still be on safari myself.

Never a dull moment for sure. Everyone is really nice. One can hear music and laughter all the time. The children, all 21 of them are so sweet. Today there was a savenger hunt and all of them got prizes. I don't know how they found the hidden parcels so quickly but they did.

Bullet, the retired farm horse wanders around the UAACC village. He always seems to decide he wants water when I am washing clothes in the children's yard. So I just let it run for him. Today, I decided to try and see if my clothes dry faster on the outside line or inside. We shall see.

I am never hungry for dinner if I have a late lunch. The cook is pretty phenomenal. I haven't eaten this well in a long time. There is always fruit which is nice--mangoes and bananas. Avocadoes rain from trees which surround the Red Onion, but I haven't had one in a while with breakfast or dinner. Hopefully, they will come back.

There was okra this afternoon, but I couldn't eat it as it had tomatoes in the sauce.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home