Thursday, June 14, 2018

Benin City

Books for sale in the gift shop at the National Museum

Most Cities had such an arch with its name

Olukun

Tribute to Students and Education

Warrior Hero




Boys were sleeping on the monument


We are walking to the Palace





The King's Palace.

The gentleman I am standing with is in charge of security
Mr. Desmond is my host
The horse was rather thin
The gate is beautiful workmanship
Palace a bit closer. The design of this palace looked like that of the Ooni's of Ife,
except for the gate
The door looked pretty awesome. Reminded me of the massive doors in Mali made from wood.
I couldn't get the entire door. We were looking for the librarian, but the position is currently vacant. We had been instructed that we should seek on such person to give us the background of the palace and the king.
These women sold cloth and the coral beaded jewelry everyone wore.
They told me they could mak a garment for me. I told them, next time.
The king has on sunglasses-- "cool."
A lot of marketers put on public displays with music and speakers. People stop and listen. Across from the hotel where I was staying, a man with a loudspeaker was selling a product which was guaranteed to help with male sexual performance.
The is the national theatre complex. There is no show. It looks to be an impromptu market, rather squalid.However, as in other public places, the workmanship is superb. The art needs restoration, many of the statues are peeling.

National Theatre
This is one of my favorite public art pieces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home