Thursday, March 10, 2022

From Ethiopia to Tanzania Zanzibar

From: robert king wilkerson 

Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Wanda! Hope you are traveling safe and well. I am just writing as promised: Below are my words to Charloltte and Pete!

Greetings Charlotte and Pete from the belly of the beast!This will be a very brief missive..just to say hello, and to say- Iwish I could greet you personally. And if circumstances were different, I would. For the time being, otherduties/obligations requires my presence elsewheres. However, my good friend, Wanda(Sabir) will hand deliver this toyou. While this is a bit consoling to me, it does not quench my desir to visit you(myself) in the flesh, hopefully, in the nottoo far distant future. In the meantime, I extend my Love/Respect/Admiration to you for your committment, dedication andself sacrifices you have made throughout your lives, aiding others in their quest to help "create" a better world.

I Salute You!Robert H.King

Wanda Sabir


Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:32 AM

To: robert king wilkerson

Cc: Wanda Sabir 

Bcc: TaSin Sabir 

Hi King:

On my way to Arusha on Monday. Ethiopia is really lovely all its various aspects and peoples. It has a rich and powerfulhistory I am just dipping a toe into (smile). Maybe next time I'll spend more time here, like a month or many an entiresummer to really get a feel for the folks.

I had a great time this past week--I did a bit of traveling to Lalibela and Gonder and lastly to Bahar Dar. These are historicplaces, at least two former capitals of the country. There are so many churches here, really beautiful edifices. In Lalibela Ivisited churches carved from a mountain--all connected by tunnels. I then went to see another church a bit further away ina cave. There were skulls and other bones of martyrs who came to the church to die (smile).

The buildings are truly works of majesty and skill--artistic, each window, arch or imprint means something and it is allconnected to biblical history. In Gonder there are these beautiful drawings on the walls of the churches, however, it is thecastles which really blew me away. I didn't know there were castles in Africa.

Of course I have been spending money on trinkets--guess what, crosses no less. I have 4 at this writing. No, I am notChristian --yet (smile). I also bought scarves. All women and girls where long dresses and cover themselves. In dressMuslims and Christians look the same.

Yesterday, I saw three hippos when I took a boat ride across the third largest lake in Africa, Lake Tana which meets theBlue Nile. We sailed to that point. I also visited the Zeke Pennisula (?) and one of two islands Lake Tana, this one forwomen monks. I couldn't visit the other one, it's just for me.

There was a prison there--crazy huh?

At the site where there are at least six castles, there were cages where the kings kept lions, symbolic of the Lion ofJudah. One of the castles was built by a queen and hers is the most artistic.

What I have enjoyed most about my time away was the silence and solitude. These places of worship are great places toreflect and empty oneself of worries and thoughts of anything other than the marvel of the greatness of the creator andcreation, of which we are an important, yet not so important aspect. Seeing a building dedicated to the creator carvedfrom the outside in?! Just shows me how nothing matters more than one's faith in something greater than what one cansee.

I am sure, while locked up what kept you going was the knowledge that man was nothing and that spirit was greater thanthe container that held your body. So anyway, I am listening to Quranic recitations broadcast from the mosque nearby. Ilove it. Similarly while in the country, in the mountains surrounding Lalibela and Gonder, one could here the faithfulreciting in Ge'ez (old Amharic, the language of services.)

Got to run.


From: TaSin Sabir

Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Beautiful mommy you are getting all deep and spiritual this sounds like a rewarding trip for you. LOVE IT!

also i got you message about the books I'll do it on monday.


From: Wanda Sabir

Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

Dear Daughter:

Good morning in America, good evening in Addis. Today I rested, getting ready for the next leg of the trip. I am really looking forward to Tanzania. Finally staying with people I know. That should be nice.

I think there is a soccer game. I keep hearing cheering. Ethiopia must be winning (smile). I was going to an Orthodox church this morning and then shopping for some last minute items, but I am tired of forking over $50 a shot when I want to go somewhere. Can you imagine paying $50 a day for transportation, even if you just want to go across town?

Well today was going to cost me $65 for a van, because no cars were available. I was supposed to go to the late service--6:30 am. I woke up at 4 and decided against it and called to cancel. These folks are as tired of me as I am of them. Addis is like New York, no one has time and everyone is running chasing the buck or chasing you for a buck (smile). The country was nicer. Even Bahar Dar was nice, and it is a bigger city than Addis. I hope with all the development it doesn't turn into Addis. I leave for Tanzania at 6 in the morning. I have to be at the airport at 7, three hours early.

I think Ethiopia won. Good for them (smile). The woman whose phone you texted let me read your message from Cassy's sister-in-law. I think you emailed me too, right?

Well I am signing off for now. I have to check and see what Sister Charlotte said about tomorrow's taxi fare.

peace and love,

Mama

PS Please tell Fred Happy Father's Day. I don't think he checks his email. Give my regards to your father as well.


TaSin Sabir

Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Hi mommy. Happy fathers day to u too :-) Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Are u okay on money?


From: Wanda Sabir

Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

To: TaSin Sabir <tasinsabir@gmail.com>

I don't know. Call my bank and see. Are you sure you don't have my SS# somewhere? The Internet connection here is too slow to check things like this (smile).

Abenet is here. I wish I'd known. I would have called her yesterday. She might be able to find me a less expensive way to the airport. I am never staying at the Guest Hse. again.

Mom


From: TaSin Sabir

Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

I dont have your ss. 


From: Wanda Sabir

Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM

To: TaSin Sabir <tasinsabir@gmail.com>

okay.

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir


From: TaSin Sabir

Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Your account checking balance is 2413.66 your savings is 360.72


From: Wanda Sabir

Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

thanks! I got an account balance today at the airport here in Arusha. I am here! I might be able to join the O'Neals on an excursion with their son, grandchild and daughter-in-law who are visiting for ten days.

the name of the place is Ngorongoro Crater. The son is treating his parents, but if they can figure it out, I might be able to join them. it's nice here. I am sitting in Brother Pete's palour. The kids have all retired after telling Baba goodnight. Hegave them all sweets and hugs.

The kids are all orphans and live on site. The place UAACC, is a little village, almost a city behind the enclosure. There isart everywhere.

There are sculptures on the trees and along the walk leading to my hut. There are 21 kids here ages 7-9 up to 13. Thekids are really sweet. I am going to give them the books and dolls (except one for my friend in Zimbabwe's daughter. Igave a doll and a book to the woman I met at the Guest Hse. whose adoption for a baby came through. She is Irish andnice. We went on walks, went to the cultural restaurant together and she secured a better room for me while I was away(smile).

The folks at the Guest Hse. were trying to milk me for more money this morning. The ATM at the bank went out of orderafter spitting my card out after I canceled the transaction. Funny coincidence. I gave him 500 Birr and told him they couldbill me the rest ($33). They owe me money. So I will not be paying them anything.

I saw Upesi at the airport in Addis. Can you imagine my surprise. To be walking down the aisle and see someone fromhome. I am staying at her place in Zanzibar (smile). She was going to join her husband there, but she is leaving June 30.I might see her though, Sister Charlotte and I are going to the Zanzibar Film Festival this month.

The place is like camping. I didn't see any bugs, but it is dark and feels like the wilderness (smile). My imagination is tooactive. I do not relish walking back to my room from here. It's nice in Brother Pete's room. Their friend, Ms. Jesse is heretoo, we've been talking. She is a former magistrate who is here representing a client on a case, then back to Dar esSalaam.

Compared to Addis, Tanzania is more like West Africa, except more rural. The people grow corn and sunflowers andbeans. It is really pretty driving down the road and seeing all the pretty yellow flowers. The mountains are really distant,the area not elevated.

I am going to do a few day trips and see what can be arranged re: exploring. I might just shadow Mama C. My computeris about to die, but I will type as long as I can.

The visa was $100, the most I have ever paid. I hope it lasts for a while (smile). I know it works for Zanzibar, so that'sgood.

It's late here. I am going to get a phone. I will text you the number. Another young woman from Sacramento is comingwho helps Brother Pete with a grant application to complete a kitchen for the kids.

I am listening to your outgoing message now. It is night here, so I will be off to bed shortly (smile) to sleep with the lighton.

Too much going on in the room to shut them off--art and furniture and an over active imagination.

Peace and Love,

Mama

PS The kids had a graduation today. The UAACC hosts an after school enrichment program that uses art for education.


From: Wanda Sabir

Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

Oh, thanks for the account balance. I have a slight stomach ache this evening. I might fast tomorrow, just drink water, untilit feels better. Brother Pete liked the presents.

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir

Visit www.wandaspicks.com


From: TaSin Sabir

Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Awwww. I missed your call! my phone was in the bedroom charging and i was in the living room. I'll pick up. I usually pickup all numbers so I'll have to turn my phone ringer up next time it's in another room.

I picked up your artwork from Kamau yesterday and he we telling me how he climbed mt. killeminjaro back in the day.You'll have to swap stories when you get back. Glad you're with people you know now. Have fun.


love you

TaSin


From: Wanda Sabir

Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

Yes. Kamau told me the story. I am going on a 5 day safari beginning Sunday with a group. I only have to pay the parkentrance fees thanks to Brother Pete. I won't see the Masai though.

When I get back, I go to Zanzibar (early and then on to Dar es Salaam for a few days and then back to Tanzania on aferry. I hope I can do a short climb and overnight when I return before I leave for Zanzibar.

There is a film festival--10 days and I am joining Mama C. A film about her is screening. I might see Upesi there, she isleaving June 30, she said. We were running around today. I got a new phone, Samsung, this time. It will be active in 72 hours.

There was a protest in town today, not the part we were in-thankfully. There was no bomb, just tear gas (smile). Wevisited one of or the oldest residence in Tanzania today. A two story house, with a lovely garden. A rhino head graced the upstairs porch.

At the safari which begins June 23-June 28, we'll visit Lake Menawa, Serengeti Park and Ngorogora--all for $245 for me.

I gave Sister C $500 for my room and board, even though I am not here for the entire time, since I am not paying the rate she asked. The kids loved the dolls. I wish I'd had something for the boys besides books, but they liked the dolls too.

I read them two books this morning. Folks don't get up super early here, but I do. I think Tanzania is an hour ahead or behind Addis. I will be heading out with the crew from here on Sunday to prepare for the students who have paid about $1000 for this trip. Please contact my bank and have them take the hold off my account.

I withdrew money today and I think they thought something funny was going on after more than four consecutivewithdrawals. I need to withdraw money in the morning without any problems. I might have reached my limit. Change thelimit if I have (smile).

thanks! I only need $245, but I have to take it in Tanzanian shillings and then Brother Pete will convert the currency intoUSD. The banks don't give USD. I have to withdraw 401, 779.8 TZS.

Sister C and I went to an Ethiopian lodge and restaurant today as we were running errands to use the bathroom and thenshe couldn't resist and bought her usual. I bought something too. Lentils and cabbage and carrorts and potatos, and fortomorrow I have the yellow split peas and more cabbage. I am going to town again tomorrow, this time with Brother Pete.

I wish King could have come, he would have loved it here. Hanging with another OG (smile).

Brother Pete, as I mentioned has his own place, and Sister C is next door in her own place. Her place is really nice, thefloors are tiled with really pretty tile. Her kitchen is modern and the bathroom is nice too. She has a studio in her placeand the couple share a door when they want to visit. Brother Pete's place also has the huge TV and I think I said he haslots of DVDs and books whereas Sister C has beautiful art work on her walls, some original like her multimedia work--shequilts too. One of her pieces is a part of a traveling show called And Still We Rise, curated by Dr. Carolyn Mazzloomi. Herwork is on Emmit Till.

After I leave the film festival I am going to go to Dar, not just to see the National Museum and the slavery museum, but tomeet with women attorneys to talk about incarcerated women in the US esp. the youth who are being tried as adults. MissJessie, the magistrate I met her, a good friend of Brother Pete and Sister Charlotte, here Monday. She and I shared a fewmeals together.

I haven't taken any photos outside of UAACC. Tanzanians don't like people taking photos, so I have just been looking andwishing I had glasses that were camera lens. The women wear the pieces like the ones in Madagascar with the wisesayings. They wear one as a skirt and the other like a shawl. The colors are pretty. The girls and women cut their hair low--most of them. It's cute, shows off their pretty eyes, but you have to look to see if a person is a girl or a boy.

The girls wear skirts.

Mama C said Tanzanians still practice genital cutting, even though it is against the law, but now young people are refusingso the elders are looking at more gentle ways to introduce manhood and female rites of passage.

It has been really fun listening to these stories. These couple have created a world one can only dream of when onethinks about true umoja or kujichagulia--they are a part of the community with a twist. African and American--the goodparts, the revolutionary parts, the conscious parts. The values we hold as Pan Africans are evident here. One can readaffirmations painted on the walls in murals and see these values exemplified in the faces of heroes and heroines depictedas well.

They speak the language, Brother Pete laughs at his accent, but he communicates (smile). Sister Charlotte shiftslinguistically, yet, despite living in Africa since 1970, first in Algeria and then in Arusha, she is still African American.

the kids left to go to bed. they come over to read in Brother Pete's sitting room and then come into his chamber to wishhim goodnight. As they were preparing to come in this evening they told me so I could join them. I am an insider now(smile).

Sister C told me where I can walk in the morning. I will walk straight and not turn so I don't get lost (smile).

Oh, please check to see if the car insurance needs paying. thanks!

Oh, please make sure that I have 1624.00 in the bank June 27-28, 2013. The bank sends my rent to Martha for the first. Whatever you might have to add, will be available to reimburse yourself with June 30 when my checks are deposited.

Mama C said that she often wonders if she is dreaming, life has been so good. She told me some fun stories about herkids and how they came to live in the United States. Her daughter who had been home schooled until age 15, saw MTVand wanted to go to the US and claim that part of her heritage. Her big brother who had been to Tanzanian publicschools, didn't like it in Brooklyn and returned home with his mother, but Stormy, loved it and has been in the US since.She is 38 now.

We passed a few colleges and universities. We also passed the courts where they are holding Rwanda tribunals.

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir

Visit www.wandaspicks.com


From: TaSin Sabir

Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM

To: Wanda Sabir 

I missed you again! I was washing my hair this morning. Try again please :)

Where is your check book so I can get you account number to deposit some money or if you have your account number you can just email it to me.


From: TaSin Sabir

Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

To: Wanda Sabir <wandasabir@gmail.com>

Too many security questions and long hold then they hung up on me when i tried to call bank of america and take off thehold. you have to call them. here is their number

travel number try this one first:

602-597-2395

regular number:

800-432-1000


To: Wanda Sabir

Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:40 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

I will put my account number in a draft like I did before. Of course I will call again.

Mom


From: Wanda Sabir

Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

I was able to withdraw money today with no problem. A group just came in from New Jersey on their way to Zanzibar. The college professor brings a group here every year. She has been coming for over ten years. She married a Tanzanian man. They have two children. I will try to call, but today might be difficult.

Mom

On 6/18/13, TaSin Sabir 


From: Wanda Sabir

Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM

To: robert king wilkerson 

Hi again King. Brother Pete enjoyed the books and videos and greetings. We were together when he read Gail's message about Herman. I hope they release him so he can at least realize some of his plans re: Herman's House (smile). Hope this note finds you well.

Peace and Love,

Wanda


From: TaSin Sabir

Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Okay. I had to restart the aaa policy because it was cancelled. I pretended to be u but put the payment on tasins card. Sowhen u get back u can change it to wandas card. Haha being you on the phone is so funny seems so obvious but guessim a good actor. The bank call was more secure though didnt want to guess wrong and have your account shut down.Going to the movies in an hour and half 10am so if ur by the phone nows a good time to call. Or after the movie at noon.

Love you


robert king wilkerson

Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Greetings once more, Wanda! Glad you are enjoying your trip... I have been mired down in emails and phone calls, andmy thoughts are (or have been) running wild... In any event, continue to travel safely....and return to me!

As Ever/king


From: Wanda Sabir

Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

Might miss you again. It's 7 p.m. now. I will call you now. Brother Pete has to go get his son tonight. They come in at 3 a.m. I will try tomorrow too. The professor with her class teaches gender studies. her husband said they were just there for a conference in Oakland. I wonder why Bilaliyah didn't go or know about it since her degree is in Women's Studies as well as Psychology. African Feminism. I have heard of this. There is a woman at Mills, Dr. Amina Mama, whom I have yet to meet.

Did I tell you I was moved? I washed clothes today and I have water all over the bedroom (smile). There is a tub in the new place. I don't know if I am taking a bath (smile). I took my first shower this morning. There is a mosque up the road. I think I will got to Juma on Friday.

Peace and Love.

Mama


From: TaSin Sabir

Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Sounds good. have a good night. im in the theater now waiting for the movie to start. Sara and I are watching fast and furious 6.


From: Wanda Sabir

Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 1:40 AM

To: TaSin Sabir 

Hope you enjoyed it (smile). I am going with one of the kids to Juma, I hope (smile). It drizzled last night a bit. It isfreezing here. I wish I'd brought jeans. Next time I certainly will while traveling in the winter in Africa.

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir


Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

From: TaSin Sabir
To: Wanda Sabir 

Have a good time at Juma. how was your birthday?


From: Wanda Sabir

Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:19 AM

To: TaSin Sabir

Wow. You are up late. Juma was good. the Khutba was about Taqwa and how one has to live her faith. The women werereally nice. One sister, Khadijah, took my hands and spoke to me in English and Kiswahili. Hussein translated for us.

She invited me back next week. I might be back in time. If so, I will go again. I forgot to ask if I could take a photo withthem (smile). Most women wore black, the burka without the face covering. Others wore colorful wraps head andshoulders covered. There was a carpet covering the space between the two genders. We got the side that is on the floor,which means the men had the colorful side. I was tempted but resisted looking over the wall on the side to see how theother half lived (smile).

I almost nodded out (smile).

We got a ride to the mosque which was built by the Arab owners of the chicken factory which supplies chickens and babychicks to lots of businesses. Sister Khadijah works there. Before this masjid was built, people in the community had totravel to another city to pray. The muslim population is the minority here. Hussain said his mother and father bothconverted to Christianity. he and his two siblings, brother and sister are still Muslim. Today is not only the summersolstice, it is also the 12th day of

Shaʿbān

ن عشبا

, "scattered", marking the time of year when Arab tribes dispersed tofind water. In 18 days it will be Ramadan (smile).

I need to figure out when that is exactly. I think I will be in Zanzibar, which means I will be in a Muslim country during thisperiod. That should be fun.

My birthday was great. I think I sent you an email about that. Yes, I know I did. I responded to Bilaliyah and copied you(smile).

I am going to have people send copies of their letters of recommendation to the P.O. Box. I did not put a vacation hold onthe mail. I will do it later today or tomorrow.

I hope you are throwing away all the junk mail at the house.

Brother Pete's son took photos. I am going to see if he will let me copy them from his card on the camera. If so, I will sendyou a copy.

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir


From: TaSin

Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 7:33 PM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Wow. You are up late. Juma was good. the Khutba was about Taqwa and how one has to live her faith. The women werereally nice. One sister, Khadijah, took my hands and spoke to me in English and Kiswahili. Hussein translated for us.

She invited me back next week. I might be back in time. If so, I will go again. I forgot to ask if I could take a photo withthem (smile). Most women wore black, the burka without the face covering. Others wore colorful wraps head andshoulders covered. There was a carpet covering the space between the two genders. We got the side that is on the floor,which means the men had the colorful side. I was tempted but resisted looking over the wall on the side to see how theother half lived (smile).

I almost nodded out (smile).

We got a ride to the mosque which was built by the Arab owners of the chicken factory which supplies chickens and babychicks to lots of businesses. Sister Khadijah works there. Before this masjid was built, people in the community had totravel to another city to pray. The muslim population is the minority here. Hussain said his mother and father bothconverted to Christianity. he and his two siblings, brother and sister are still Muslim. Today is not only the summersolstice, it is also the 12th day of

Shaʿbān

ن عشبا, "scattered", marking the time of year when Arab tribes dispersed tofind water. In 18 days it will be Ramadan (smile).

I need to figure out when that is exactly. I think I will be in Zanzibar, which means I will be in a Muslim country during thisperiod. That should be fun.

My birthday was great. I think I sent you an email about that. Yes, I know I did. I responded to Bilaliyah and copied you(smile).

I am going to have people send letters of recommendation to the house. I did no

Peace and Blessings,

Wanda Sabir

(510) 712-4015 mobile



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home