Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wanda's Birthday @ SFJAZZ featuring Keb'Mo and Taj Mahal






We left the restaurant and headed for San Francisco after dropping off the birthday presents at Karen's house, not far away. Five of us piled into the car and with just 15 minutes till showtime, we got across the bridge and parked before 8 p.m. Pine Street was challenging for a few sister-friends who told me they'd meet me inside after Carolyn and I pushed on so we wouldn't miss too much. I was surprised to see Taj Mahal on first, since he was certainly the headliner considering Keb'Mo's youth. Okay, so I rethought the youth part when I saw hi gray goatee, but he was still younger than Taj who is about 70 or so. The big man reminded me physically of Randy Weston, another gentle giant of a man.

Taj played his banjo--Keb'Mo didn't have his that evening, although I've seen him play one too. Keb'Mo's band was hot...two more guitarists, a brother on bass, another on drums and a pianist. Most of the fellows also sang. His set was different from Taj's, but just as good. After his opening number, he thanked the audience for staying, then went on to say that one of his favorite people was Taj Mahal and then Taj walked on stage.

I forget what the two men played....It was cool watching them converse musically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home