Friday, December 19, 2008

Wanda's Picks Radio Dec. 19, 2008

Wanda's Picks Radio Show: Where Art Meets Politics
http://www.wandaspicks.asmnetwork.org

The line-up for Friday, Dec. 19 was as follows: 8:00-8:25 AM: Ayanna Mashama, Chinese Medicine doctor, herbalist, community healer and activist, mother and grandmother, and Mestre Temba Mashama, Capoiera N'Gola, licensed family therapist, re: Winter Solstice

8:30-8:55 AM: Sistas Wit Style, A Caribbean Folk Performing Dance Company, Dance That Moves The World which is having its Seventh Annual Cultural and Holiday Show: “Back In De Dey”, a Caribbean Holiday Celebration featuring a Holiday Banquet & Cultural Show, Sunday, Dec. 21, the Lakeside Gardens, 666 Bellevue Avenue, Oakland, CA, off Grand Avenue (across the street from Children’s Fairyland). The dinner is free for children 17 and under, and $20 donation for everyone else. Doors open at 3 p.m., the dinner starts at 4 p.m. Call (510) 952 –6287/ (510) 387-7771 or sistas_wit_style@yahoo.com/ www.sistas-wit-style.com

9:00-9:25 AM: Stanley E. Williams, co-founder and Artistic Director of the Lorraine Hansberry Theatre, which is celebrating its 28th consecutive season as a leading center of African American theatre and Arvis Strickling-Jones, Musical Director and Principal Artist, of Black Nativity: A Gospel Celebration of Christmas is currently on stage through Dec. 28, at PG&E Auditorium, 77 Beale Street@ Market in San Francisco. Visit www.lhtsf.org or call (415) 474-8800. Sunday, Dec. 28, 2 p.m. all seats are $18 and there is a free reception with food after the show at 4 p.m. Shows are Thursday-Saturday, 8 p.m. with a 2 p.m. performance on Saturdays and Sundays.

9:30-9:55ish AM: Dr. Mable John, former Raelet and Motown's First Lady. She is visiting Northern California for a special concert Saturday, Dec. 20 @ 8 p.m. at the Throckmorton Theater in Mill Valley. The concert takes place at 142 Throckmorton Theater. Opening the show will be the Sweet Nectars, the back-up trio for blues legend Jimmy McCracklin. Contact (415) 383-9600 or www.142throckmortontheatre.com. Tickets are $30-$40.

I forgot to ask the young women in Sista Wit Style about instruments indigenous to Trinadad and Tabago. I wanted to ask Ms. Arvis to tell me about her work with the San Quentin Choir and to compare the choir to that of the historic choir at Angola State Prison in Louisiana. I was curious about when her family moved to San Francisco from New Orleans. I wondered if we were on the same Greyhound bus (smile). I wanted to ask Stanley about his decision to cast a woman as the pastor. It was a first for Black Nativity at LHT. I thought she was great, but I wanted to know his reasoning, if any. But when I run over for one guest, it pushes everything off. I don't think my guests know they are running over. I also had my first guest call in from reading the preview I posted--it was exciting even though I couldn't talk to her. I also forgot to ask Dr. John how she avoided the vice and other less savory aspects of the entertainment industry. And I really wanted her to tell me about Ms. Ruth Brown. Next time. I enjoyed the conversation with Ayanna and Temba, it was informative about the Winter Solstice and they both gave us practical and useful.

It was crazy this morning because it was the end of final's week at the college and I had someone to proctor the class for me who flaked on me, so I was in my office doing the show while my daughter did the best she could recording student presentations.

I am still here now. I got up at 4:30 to make sure I wasn't late hoping the proctor would show up, but she didn't and my daughter was late too. I think, in spite of the distractions, the interviews went well. I haven't had a chance to look at the student presentations yet. It has been one of those semesters I am happy to put behind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home