Friday, January 16, 2009

Wanda's Picks Radio January 16, 2009

The two shows scheduled Friday, Jan. 16, 2009 have the Theme: "Martin King to Barack Obama, from 'I Have a Dream' to 'Yes, We Can'”

6-7:30: David Hardiman (prerecorded)

8-8:25ish AM: Marcus Shelby and Ms. Faye Carol; 8:30-8:55ish AM: Clifford Brown Jr., 9:00-9:25ish Kev Choice and Miko Marks; 9:30-9:55 Hodari Davis and Mike Tuenr, a Youth Speaks poet re: Bringing the Noise for Martin Luther King Jr.

Show URL: http://www.wandaspicks.asmnetwork.org

This morning was quite challenging in a good way. I started at 6 AM with David Hardiman, whose Big Band is in its 34th Anniversary Season being celebrated Monday, Jan. 19, in concert, two shows, 8 & 10 PM at Yoshi's San Francisco, 1330 Fillmore. Visit yoshis.com. I wanted to have Melanie Demore on also, but I had technical difficulties so I included her in my regular, 8-10 AM show with Clifford Brown Jr., emcee for the “7th Annual Musical Tribute to Dr. MLK Jr.,” Sunday, January 18, at the Scottish Rite Center, 1547 Lakeside Drive, in Oakland. Visit www.mlktribute.com

I opened the program this morning with Marcus Shelby, who is also participating in the MLK Music Tribute Sunday. He will be premiering an excerpt of a new work honoring Martin King. Ms. Faye Carol, featured in Marcus' new work, joined the musician/composer in the studio and then stayed on when Melanie joined us. We had a fun conversation, so much so, I could barely get a word in to welcome Clifford Brown Jr., into the studio. The three then had a great time conversing until Ms. Carol had to sign off.

Okay, I am trying to let out my breath...whew! Miko Marks calls in on time for her interview at 9 AM, and so do her fans who share with her their appreciation of her work. It was really cool having the live audience. Things were finally moving along well. I’d had to shut the studio down at 8 AM because I could not sign my guest into the studio, but it finally worked out—Marcus Shelby holding on. I couldn’t even take a music break.

Miko was joined by Kev Choice, and the two to them spoke about their work, Miko as a country western singer, and Kev as a rap artist whose work seeks to uplift the community, his listeners. They are both performing on Wednesday, Jan. 21, at the Oaktown Jazz Workshop fundraiser at Yoshi's in Jack London Square in Oakland. Visit yoshis.com



Wanda’s Picks closed this morning with a conversation with Hodari B. Davis and Mike Turner. Mike is a student at Encinal High School and Hodari is one of the backbones of Youth Speaks as director of National Initiatives. They were speaking to me from an Oakland school where they are hosting a workshop called: Words as Weapons. This workshop, a part of a series, is a precursor to the annual celebration Monday, January 19, called “Bringing the Noise for Martin Luther King., Jr.” The event is at the Herbst Theatre, 401 Van Ness Ave. Tickets are $16 general, $6 for youth under 20 and seniors. Visit www.cityboxoffice.com and youthspeaks.org. It was a great morning and even though I couldn't play Miko's music or a selection from Kev, you can visit their websites and I'll play a couple of selections on Wednesday, Jan. 21, as a reminder.

I think I’ll stick to having two shows a week, this week I hosted three and extended my Wednesday, January 14, show to 90 minutes so I could speak longer with John Barnes, Jr., artist, who is a part of Prospect 1 New Orleans, which closes Sunday, Januaary 18, 2009 at Hefler, the staging area for the biennel which features artists from throughout the country and the world. Visit www.prospectneworleans.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home