Thursday, March 10, 2022

Zimbabwe to Babylon

 From: Wanda Sabir

Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 4:01 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Greetings Friends and Family:

I am headed back to Babylon-- I am leaving Zimbabwe and headed to Lusaka (2:25 - 3:35) and then Addis Ababa for(8:25 p.m.-n 10:15 p.m.), then to Rome (2:25 am-4:25 am) then on to DC (8:30-10 am) then to San Francisco (12:45p.m.)

If you are in any of these places, drop me a line (smile). I am going to look for Internet or a novel (smile).

It has been a marvelous journey and I am really grateful for all your kindness. I have met many people whom I now callfamily and as such my heart is full as I say farewell for now (smile). I started the trek in early June in Ethiopia and thentraveled on to Tanzania/Zanzibar where I discovered a lot about the salve trade and a people's resilience. I also had anopportunity to meet a couple of freedom fighters who are doing much to change the world for the better as they bridge theriff between Africa and Africans in the Diaspora. I am speaking of Mzee Pete and Mama C in Arusha at UAACC.

I hung out on the beach in Bwejuu, Sister Upesi paradise on earth. Mama Yemanja rose in her majesty the evening I wasdeparting. In Mangatpani Sister Aida nursed me back to health as I had an opportunity to learn more about the trade inAfricans. My visit to Pemba was a highlight of the Zanzibar sojourn. I really loved the large island and met a traditionalhealer and met fishermen and a really nice extension of the Khadija and Muhammad's family in the person of AbdrRahman (nephew),

Zimbabwe is such an African country when one thinks of precolonial, pre-white invasion. I think this is certainly a result ofPresident Mugabe's reign (smile). For all his faults this is certainly a plus. Zimbabweans are a proud people because theyknow their history. I cannot say this of all the places I have visited. Many Africans want to disappear into whiteness to theextent that the children do not speak their indigenous language or recognize the names of their heroes (Senegal, SouthAfrica).

It's hard here for folks and in Harare, one can see the hand of western culture but that is the way of the economic world.America's ideology makes the world go round (for real). National Heroes Day (8/13-14) falls strategically the week afterelections. It is a national holiday as was election day.

I have hung with the people literally as I took combes to distant cities --I am talking hours and hours on hot cramped vansand buses, with the occasional ride in a private car. (People carpool like that here, kind of cool). I visited Mutoko whereGogo Jean and Stella take care of a community of children who are orphaned, many to parents with HIV/AIDS. I got toclimb a mountain there. Visited Great Zimbabwe twice and can't begin to tell you the wonderful energy that engulfs theplace.

Chimanimani Arts Festival was a great opportunity toi get a taste of Zim music and dance. My battery is about to die, so again thanks for making this East African tour so wonderful.

I will certainly be back (smile).

PS Gloria C., I have a message for you from Jemali re: the house (nice man).


Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 4:01 AM

From: Roni Jordan

To: Wanda Sabir 

Wanda,

Lots to share and I can't wait to hear about your journey. I was on the phone when you arrivedat MOP and I hope you found all well there. Travel safe and let's talk once you settle in.

Min. Roni Jordan

Mother of Peace / Africa Outreach

City of

Refuge UCC Oakland, CA

916-730-0225

http://sfrefuge.org

ww.motherofpeacezimbabwe.org

www.ronijordan.organogold.com

www.coffeeallovertheworld.com

916-730-0225 my direct line


From: Jean Cornneck

Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

To: Wanda Sabir 

God bless you in your endeavors we love you very much and looking forward to your next visit


From: Munyaradzi Elton Sagiya

Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:57 AM

To: Wanda Sabir 

Hie Wanda

Thanx for the mail. It is my hope that your journey back was good as Ambuya Mujena from the Shona Village fortell. For myself, I am doing fine here, currently at working and starting my preparations for going back to the University.Registration is starting next week and 26 August lectures will be kicking off. It is my hope that you also found yourdaughters and their families well and missing you a lot!

Bye!

Munyaradzi Elton Sagiya

Great Zimbabwe National Monument

P.O Box 1060

Masvingo, Zimbabwe

+263 77 5 102 724


From: Wanda Sabir

Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 4:28 AM

To: Munyaradzi Elton Sagiya 

Hi Munyaradzi:

TaSin is well. I haven't spoken to Bilaliyah yet. We talked for 4 hours and then went out to dinner. She is fasting an extra week. It is Sunna, something Prophet Muhammad did.

By the time I finished my tea, we were at a Vietnamese restaurant, the sun was down and she was eating from my claypot with coconut rice and tofu with vegetables (smile). She ordered curried chicken, but they brought curried tofu insteadby mistake. They corrected their mistake. I had noddle soup and tofu with vegetables. TaSin and I spoke about sadza(smile).

One of my former students works there. He is almost finished at UC Santa Cruz. He was in my English Lit class.

I have to go to work tomorrow and I am going to bed at 4 a.m. I am still on Zimbabwean time (smile). I saw your email though and I had to respond. I am surprised to see that you "miss me" (smile). I got no hug goodbye or anything (smile).

I love Gloria. thanks so much for introducing us. She is such a sweetheart. I met Godfrey as well when he and his sister took me to the airport. I have attached a photo (smile).

I got home yesterday afternoon. I will forward a note I sent to my other friends regarding my journey home FYI. My note to Gloria bounced. Please send me her email address. I must be writing it incorrectly.

All the best. By the way, I shall miss you too over the coming months.

TaSin thought my desire to adopt a young woman at the orphanage, Mother of Peace, was a great idea (smile). Did I tell you about this? Bella Bridget is 14 years old and a sweet heart as well. She has older siblings. She and her friend,climbed the mountain with me. You should have heard them singing god's praises as we stopped at each station on theway to the top (well the first seven (smile). Bella is the one praying (1581).

the bridge photos are not that spectacular. The ones you already have are better. Mine are not posed and most are from the rear.

Please send me the photo of the baobab tree in the middle of the street you told me about. It is 4:28 am I am really going to bed now.

have a great day (smile).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home