Thursday, March 10, 2022

Update Zanzibar; Safari in Tanzania

Update Zanzibar (smile)

From: Wanda Sabir

Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM

To: TaSin Sabir; Bilaliyah 


I tried to send this yesterday after the safari, lost it and had to type it again. It never sent. I am in Zanzibar now. TaSin it looks like Tana, Madagascar. The hotel roof looks just like the second place we stayed.


The room is sooooo much nicer. For some reason there is no blanket or top sheet. I have to ask for one.

We are right on the Indian ocean. It's pretty here. You have to do this with me next time. From yesterday. I don't know why it is so hard to send images, but I had to remove it to send the narrative.

June 28, 2013 Take Two (smile)

The days are running together. I leave for Zanzibar in the morning at 8 a.m. I will shoot you an email once I am at the hotel. I don't know why this phone is not texting internationally. Can you send me a text?

My number is:255 0755360765 (I tried texting you again TaSin. I think I will return to the store where I bought this phone and ask what the problem is.)

The O'Neals just threw a party for their son Patrick, granddaughter Malia and daughter-in-law Aisha. The party was also for the students from Stoneybrook and American University, medical and anthropology students.

Some of the guys in our truck were annoying, youth, testosterone and white skin. One kid who got dirty yesterday and messed up the back seat, took my seat, it was annoying. I sat there, to keep the peace.

I used the bathroom in a corn field today too. At the last place we stayed, the ground was wet and the tents weren't up when we arrived and it was getting dark. It was the last day. for me day five and after Frances said she got rooms for the students, I asked if they had another for me, and I got a room for $40. The men had upgraded me to a bigger tent but I was tired of camping. My arms hurt, my trigger finger (where I press the shutter button).

I met the teacher who took the college students to stay in his village. He is Masai. A young woman named Helen Thomas was with him. I told her she has my mother's name and my grandmother's maiden name.

Her dad died and her uncle is taking care of her family (4 kids, but it is hard). She is the first in her family to go to college. Her fees are just $500 per year. The semester starts July 15. I have seen her college; it's not far from UAACC.

The name of the village translates as Black Tea -- Mati ya Chai. There is a brown river that runs through town. We saw lot of Wildebeests hanging out in the road. It gave us a sense of what it must be like when there is the big migration. I want to return when the animals are moving from one part of the Serengeti or Ngorogoro.

Lake Manyara National Park was tje first park we went to; it was the warm up park. We practiced taking photos while holding on as the vehicle moved. Just kidding. We learned to frame shots and our driver,

Julius was really patient. Later on, I think we were beginning to get on his nerves, because he would not stop sometimes and other times pull off before we were ready. I started speaking up when i really wanted a shot.

We saw so many lions, lots of them, cubs and nursing mamas. We saw lots of nursing mamas: elephants, ;baboons, zebra, a leopard, wildebeests. . . .

I loved the zebras. They are so pretty and the elephants. Two males were vying for the attention of a female who was standing near a tree and scratching herself. Cute. My clothes are so dirty, I can write my name in them.

We went to this really cool gallery/museum. It is patterned after the Guggenheim Museum in NY except it is African. We then went to a market in town where I bought three Masai dolls. Overkill since I already had one I bought in the gift shop with the Serengeti. She has earrings on, but I am going to fix up the others.

I am going to go back and get you some earrings and sandals. They have some really pretty ones. The Berkeley Flea Market markup is high. I found the earrings I bought before I left for sale for a little over a dollar. I am going to get a couple Masai blanket. The cook, Jumani was really great. He fixed really great veggie soup for me twice for breakfast. Most often I just ate bananas. I miss mangoes and avocados. I have to find some in Zanzibar. I have to remember to get my DVDs from Mzee Pete in the morning. I can see myself forgetting them and I need them for my presentation in the morning. I will write a note to myself.

There is a park with lots of baobab trees, but we didn't go there. Next time. Our driver needs website for his business and for his nonprofit. I told him about what you and Shawn do. I will introduce you all to him. He is interested in raising money through his website(s). The nonprofit is to help children continue their education after elementary school which is free. Kids take a test for high school and have to pay fees which many cannot afford. If they could pass the high school exam they could skip this and go straight to college.

Did I mention the cheetah we saw. It just walked by our car slowly. Another group of tourists had been waiting for it to travel across the plain for over and hour and we roll up and it walks right by us. After a short while the kids would want to start moving and I was like, what is the rush? It is not like we see this often.

We drove through Ngorogoro to get to the Serengeti. There was a museum in a couple of parks. The Masai were all over both parks dressed transitionally kids and adults. At one of the museums where we learned about Dr. Leaky, I met a docent and mentioned that they should have a website. The timing couldn't be more perfect. One of the researchers is coming out with a book. They need a catalog of the fossils and artifacts and history of mankind. So anyway. I gave him my card, but I have the museum's information (smile).

My battery is dying again. It's cold and I do not have enough cover. It is going to be a long night.Let's see if I can send you a couple photos (smile).

Love.

Mama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home